Saturday, August 10, 2019

Haystack Mountain

The Northeast Kingdom is definitely one of my favorite places on Earth. It doesn't matter what is going on in the world, when I am in this area, I am at peace. We headed up for our annual Summer weekend of mountain biking/hiking, this time bringing some friends which made the time even more special. While everyone else hit the Kingdom Trails, I ventured back over to Westmore and this time tackled Haystack Mountain. A little but powerful hike with spectacular views over Long Pond and the rest of the "Kingdom". I haven't hiked in a very long time, so I knew I couldn't bite off more than I could chew. Haystack proved to be perfect. I opted to make a loop heading up the North Trail, down the South Trail and joining the two with a road hike along Long Pond Road (which is gravel). The North Trail starts out up and does nothing but go up for approximately 0.9 miles. The only reason I was able to continue this slog was knowing it was only 0.9 miles! No real views along the way, just the serenity of the woods surrounding you. The trail was in tip top condition. A slightly cooler day than we have been experiencing this Summer topped off with a breeze every now and then made conditions perfect. Just before the actual summit is a sign in book and the West Overlook. Approaching this vantage point you encounter a sign to "Leash Dogs and Hold Children".. this caused me to pause a moment and consider if it was worth it. I have an extreme fear of heights and wasn't exactly sure what was coming. What was coming was a small overlook, thankfully with a tree in the middle of it, that I was able to very slowly make my way towards and hang onto for dear life! The views however were definitely worth it. This is the money shot for this mountain. I took my pictures and headed back up to the sign in book, where I encountered a group making their way up from the South Trail. We exchanged pleasantries and I headed towards my descent. Just beyond the West Overlook is the actual summit of Haystack Mountain with a large cairn and summit sign. Next you encounter the East Overlook which has a framed view over to Bald Mountain. On a clear day as I had you can see the fire tower and I reflected on my 2 hikes up that scary metal structure! Finally, the South Outlook has some more gorgeous views, this time towards Burke Mountain. I could see rain over that way and wondered if my tribe were getting wet as they rode. Thankfully I avoided any rain and just enjoyed the perfect hiking conditions I encountered. The South Trail has one very short, steep section and then it basically flattens out and is a tranquil wander through the woods, eventually meeting up with an old logging road or ATV trail that leads you back to Long Pond Road and the South Trail trailhead. The group from the top passed me on my way back down and I was humbled (as I most often am on a hike) by briefly speaking with one of the women who told me this was her first hike post beating cancer!  Who was I to complain that my knees hurt a little and it's tough to get old? This opened my thoughts as I finished my loop with the 1.2 mile "road" hike between the South and North trailheads and I breathed the fresh air and contemplated my tiny place on this huge planet. I stopped at the boat launch for Long Pond on my way home and looked back on the small peak I had just conquered!

Strava Activity


















No comments:

Post a Comment