Thursday, March 12, 2015

North & South Uncanoonuc

Today I did an out and back on South, then North Uncanoonuc to check off another on the NH Fire Tower list. I parked on Mountain Road and headed up Old Woods Road turning onto Link Trail. Probably could have used snowshoes, but just had spikes. There are a lot of old woods roads and trails in this area, so I got a bit turned around, but found my way to Summit Trail and over to the viewpoint just below the summit across the the North Peak. The true summit of South Uncanoonuc is a mess of radio towers, so I didn't linger but headed back down to the car. I stopped at my car and grabbed my snowshoes for this one. Crossed Mountain Road and headed up the Old Woods Road to Red Dot Trail. Moderate climb up with a slightly steeper pitch near the top. Met up with White Dot Trail and wandered around the large summit area checking out the view back over to South. I retraced my steps down Red Dot Trail, and had my first glissading experience opting to butt slide down the steeper section! Trail conditions weren't much better than on South. Mashed potatoes on the lower half with hard, crusty snow up top. 

Strava Activity

view from below the summit of South Uncanoonuc

South Uncanoonuc summit


looking over to North Uncanoonuc

on North Uncanoonuc

looking back over to South


summit of North heading back to Red Dot Trail

No comments:

Post a Comment