Saturday, September 21, 2024

Wantastiquet-Mondanock Trail - Keene Connector

 Chipping away at this long trail. Per some intel from a fellow hiker, I drove to California Brook Rd in Swanzey to do an out and back on the Wantastiquet-Monadnock Trail. When I arrived initially at the point where the Class VI portion of California Brook Rd begins, I saw some No Trespassing signs that threw me off.. but the more I looked at them, I believe they were referring to the land alongside the road itself, as there was a sign that said "Pass with Caution" and "Unmaintained Road" so I figured they wouldn't have those signs if it was forbidden to access. So I carefully headed down as far as you could drive. For a Class VI road, it was actually in really great shape. A couple rough spots, but nothing compared to some of the Class VI roads I have driven down to access a trail ;) I parked in a small cleared area just before the trail intersection and got myself ready. Once on trail, I needed to do an out and back in each direction, so I headed to my left first. It was about 1.5 miles back to the last place I reached in April, but totally different conditions as it was snowy back then. I was surprised that there was quite a bit more actual trail than I had anticipated, I was expecting a Class VI type road the entire way, and while there was definitely some of that, there was also a lot of trail. It was rather overgrown in some places, but thankfully well blazed so I had no navigation issues. It was very leafy on the trail portion which hid lots of rocks and roots. I really didn't enjoy this section so much, so by the time I reached the small pond I had chosen as my turnaround point in April, I decided I was done for the day. I backtracked to the car and instead of doing an out and back in the other direction, called it a day. Fast forward a week, and I came back to grab the next out and back section. Expecting more of the same from last week, I was pleasantly surprised that this section was much more pleasant. There was still more trail than I had anticipated, but there were no overgrown sections, which just makes Class VI walking so much nicer. I actually went a little further than I had planned as I was enjoying myself so much. Once I reached the Horatio Colony Preserve along Forest Ave (Class VI), I ventured down Bailey Brook Trail for just over half a mile, choosing a random spot that I could easily identify on the map as my turnaround point. There was absolutely nothing of scenic value along this entire section, but I did see 2 porcupines! I have just over 3 miles left in Horatio Colony Preserve to finish the Wantastiquet-Monadock Trail in full. 

Strava Activity

Strava Activity Part 2

This is where I left off on my last visit in the snow!

the Class VI road

friendly little guy

some overgrown trail section

and some really pleasant trail sections

more overgrown stuff

way more "technical" than I had anticipated at some points



thankfully well blazed


approaching California Brook Rd

parking along California Brook Rd

trip 2 from California Brook Rd

so much nicer than last week

right into the woods and alongside some logging



cross a logging swath


entering Horatio Colony Preserve


my turnaround point along Bailey Brook Trail

made more friends on my return


No comments:

Post a Comment