Saturday, August 1, 2020

Dixville Peak

Today I ventured back to Dixville Notch to actually bag the summit of Dixville Peak. This time I had my younger son with me and the knowledge of how to get there. We drove up the ATV trail/access road as I did a couple weeks ago and parked in roughly the same spot. I had seen what appeared to be a snowmobile trail on Google satellite imagery and tried to locate that. We did, but it was behind a large boulder and we couldn't see the condition of the area behind it, so we opted to just walk the road. We quickly ducked the gate as others had informed me was OK and walked the short distance up to the 1st wind turbine. I have to admit, they are very intimidating at first. I felt a little vertigo looking up at the spinning blades and desperately tried to recall any news stories of them causing an accident. Once I realized I didn't remember any catastrophes I relaxed. I do find them quite beautiful though and fascinating to just sit and watch. Almost like a meditative feel. The high point is at the location of the 2nd turbine, so we made our way up and actually past to the 3rd turbine as it looked like there might be some views from that area. There definitely was. We enjoyed them for a little while before heading back up to the 2nd turbine and walking around it to "bag the summit". A quick walk back down the road and we were at the car and on our way home. It was a beautiful clear day and there were no others around until we passed several ATVs on our drive down. 53/100 on the NH Firetower list for me.

Strava Activity













The high point area of Dixville Peak



No comments:

Post a Comment