Sunday, April 10, 2022

Bear Brook State Park - Chipmunk, Bobcat, Broken Boulder

 I don't like to go too far on a Sunday, so back to Bear Brook. I'm going to miss having this so close! Not that I can't go back ever, but there are so many other places to explore! When I first started planning how to tackle all the trails at Bear Brook, it seemed very overwhelming. I pre-planned 12 hikes to get it all done. Today was #9! I really enjoyed today. The weather was ideal for hiking, not hot, not cold, no bugs.. outside of some areas of mud/water the trails were dry and in fantastic shape. That also made for a busy day. Making up for hardly seeing anyone last week, I think I saw everyone twice this week. I parked on Podunk Road in Candia and headed through the gate along Podunk Road, which is a snowmobile trail (as is most of Bear Brook), so wide and easy to follow. I followed for just under a mile and then took a right onto Broken Boulder Trail for just a few hundred yards. I then took a left onto Chipmunk Trail. Chipmunk Trail was split in the middle by Spruce Pond Road. The side I was on first was definitely wetter and muddier, also quieter.. but still pretty. I'm fairly certain the trail was designed as a mountain bike trail as it twisted and weaved it's way through the woods. I crossed Spruce Pond Road and it was much drier. I also saw a lot of people. A group on horseback that were doing some trail maintenance (that is one thing here in Bear Brook you have to look out for on some of the trails, lots of horse poop!), 2 more volunteers were working on building water bars in a particularly wet area. A large group hiking passed by. As I reached Bobcat Trail, I saw some trail runners and pups, then several groups of mountain bikers! I had done Bobcat Trail previously, but today I seemed to fly along it. Much different with no snow/ice on the ground. I reached Broken Boulder Trail in no time and took a right, having come in from the left last time. This section was a little muddier, but still all mostly avoidable. Back at Spruce Pond Road, the trail continues a few hundred yards down to the left past a huge boulder split in two (namesake for the trail, maybe?). As was the case with Chipmunk Trail, this side of the trail was a little wetter and muddier, but I was able to keep my shoes mostly clean and dry. Nothing of scenic note to see, but if you're looking for a really cruisy ramble through the woods, I highly recommend this loop. Ended up being just over 6.5 miles total back to the car. 

Strava Activity












possible namesake for Broken Boulder Trail?




No comments:

Post a Comment