Saturday, June 11, 2022

Pisgah State Park - Pisgah Ridge Trail

 I had initially thought of tackling one of the 52 With a View that remain on my list, but the high summit forecast called for clouds and possible showers in the afternoon, so I decided to stay south and check off some more miles on my redlining spreadsheet instead. I use a Random Number Generator app to choose which hike I'll do from my pre-planned hiking list! Pisgah State Park came up. I headed for Reservoir Road, the map showed a parking area within the park off Rt 119. When I arrived, I found the entrance but it was a tiny, narrow, gravel road that steeply went up hill.. and I could see a gate at the top of the hill around a bend. I was afraid that the gate would be closed, and I'd have to reverse back down this steep, narrow road.. so I went a little further down and found the next parking area, which had a few cars already. I wasn't feeling the hike that would entail from that parking area so decided to go back to the original and just give it a shot. I headed up the hill and found the gate open, so proceeded. There was OHRV signage, but nothing indicating regular vehicles were prohibited. The road was narrow and really quite rough, so I took my time. I encountered a power line swath with utility vehicles staged.. initially I thought I'd be stuck at this point, but they didn't even look at me so I just continued. For 2 miles I wondered if I was doing the right thing, when I eventually came to the parking area and found a truck already there.. huge exhale. The bugs were horrendous, so I sprayed and geared up. The road was gated at this point and turned into "Reservoir Trail" as opposed to Reservoir Road. I started up the trail and was surprised to find a really steep incline that switchbacked up the side of the hill. Some areas were paved (though severely eroded) and the rest was gravel. An ATV passed me about halfway up and another as I approached the top. I was glad to reach the point where Hinsdale Trail branched off Reservoir Trail as this was gated and ATVs were prohibited. Pisgah Reservoir begins here and there was a herd path over to the waters edge. Back on Reservoir Trail, it is a snowmobile trail in Winter, so wide and easy footing. It was muddy in places, but that was all easily avoidable. The further into the park I got, the buggier it became, which was the biggest downfall of the day.. but also expected at this time of year and with lingering mud and water. I took a left at Pisgah Ridge Trail. The trail climbs up the ridge and follows right along with lots of ups and downs as you go over various knobs and unnamed peaks. I really enjoyed this trail. There was a beautiful vista just before the summit of Mt Pisgah with views over to Monadnock and the surrounding area. Mt Pisgah summit is wooded and unmarked, I guessed at the high point and the elevation matched. Continuing along Pisgah Ridge Trail, the terrain changed from pine needle to mossy rocks and back several times. There were a few more scenic vistas, with much of the same view from slightly different angles. After 3.4 miles I reached Baker Pond Trail, which I had been on earlier in the year. It looked completely different as it was covered in snow on my last visit. I followed Baker Pond Trail, which is also a snowmobile trail until it joined up with Reservoir Trail and followed that all the way back to my car. Nothing to see along this section of trail. The lack of breeze made the day feel warm, even though the temperatures were only in the low 70s and the bugs were so bad, my bug net made its first appearance of the year. I only saw 1 group of 2 the entire day (besides the ATVs). I had considered doing an out and back on Hinsdale Trail as well to check that off, but my legs were done by the time I got back to that intersection, so just continued on to my car. I was surprised to see the parking area completely full when I returned! I also passed a Fish & Game officer on his ATV waiting in the woods on my drive out and he didn't say anything to me, so that must be an acceptable road for cars if not a really rough one!

Strava Activity

start of Reservoir Trail from parking area

where Hinsdale Trail branched off



the only non buggy section of the day





Mt Pisgah summit











No comments:

Post a Comment