Sunday, September 25, 2022

Hewes Hill/Tippin Rock

 Right around the corner from Carrolls Hill is the trailhead for Hewes Hill and the Tippin Rock Trail. The guide plus all descriptions I had read said parking was at the entrance to a hay field on Warmac Road. Swanzey Conservation Commission has since developed a small official parking area which was nice. Crossing the field, the trail begins in the far right hand corner marked with a sign and map. This trail was night and day from the Carrolls Hill Trail. Super clean and great footing the whole way. Blazed with blue blazes, the trail gently climbs and reaches Tippin Rock in just over half a mile. Tippin Rock is a huge boulder right in the middle of the trail. Supposedly you can make the rock tip back and forth, but I didn't try. This boulder can also be found on the "NH Rocks that Rock" list that I am loosely keeping track of (all the patches!). The blazes continue a couple tenths of a mile to the top of some really high, steep cliffs with a lovely overlook of the surrounding area. Some Fall colors were just starting to peep through. Although I didn't see any, this area is apparently used by rock climbers and some anchors can be found at the top of the cliffs. The blazes stop at the top of the cliffs, but the trail clearly continues to the summit area of Hewes Hill. No views up here, but I headed up and "bushwhacked" (I use the term lightly as the area is very open and not very whacky) to what appeared the highest point a few hundred yards off trail atop a giant pile of erratics. The trail continued over the summit and I noticed a red blaze down a steep descent. Not knowing where it headed and not interested in having to climb back up, I just turned back around and retraced my steps to the car. I have since read this trail may be for rock climbers to descend after climbing up the cliffs. I passed a couple at the overlook as I was descending. They were the only folks I saw all day (on the trails). Another short hike coming in at just about a mile all the way to the summit. 

Strava Activity

parking on Warmac Rd

trail entrance from the field







                                                  cliffs at the end of the blazed section of trail


No comments:

Post a Comment