Saturday, September 17, 2022

Lovewell Mountain

 Having previously ascended Lovewell Mountain from Lovell Mountain Road, I needed to complete the trail from the other side. Lovewell Mountain Trail is a section of the Monadnock Sunapee Greenway and I needed to complete the section from Half Moon Pond Road to the summit. Having just been at this trailhead a few weeks ago when I hiked into Pillsbury State Park, I knew it needed to be accessed before Winter as the road is not maintained during that season. The last half mile of Half Moon Pond Road after Martin Road is very rough and should only be attempted by high clearance vehicles. As was the case last time, when I arrived there was already a vehicle parked, though I never saw the occupants. Today was absolutely perfect hiking weather, crisp temperatures without being cold, delicious light making everything glow and no bugs! I headed into the Max Israel State Forest where the trail immediately begins a gentle ascent. It is roughly 2.3 miles from Half Moon Pond Road to the summit and the trail goes over 3 knobs before the final ascent to Lovewell Mountain. The trail is impeccably maintained and just gorgeous meandering through the forest with a variety of up, down and flat to give you the ability to soak it all in without being too out of breath! I kept stopping to look around, it was so pretty. Roughly 0.8 miles from Half Moon Pond Road and atop the 2nd knob is Max Israel Shelter, which I visited on my descent. The shelter even has a not so private privy! The final ascent is more technical with rocks and roots, but made a little gentler with switchbacks. It was here I was passed by the only people I saw on the hike, 2 ladies and a pup named Norm. Along this final push you also enter Lovewell Mountain State Forest. The summit was bigger and more open than I had remembered from my previous visit and a bench has been added at the viewpoint, which was a pleasant surprise! Trees do restrict the view ever so slightly, but still a gorgeous view over towards Kearsarge and surrounding bumps is an added bonus. I remembering being pleasantly surprised on my first visit, and I was again this time around. Definite hidden gem of NH hiking! As I arrived back at my car, another car was just parking with a lady removing a bike. She had been planning on riding 7 miles back into Washington township to leave her bike and hike back to her car. She asked if I would mind driving her instead, which of course I was happy to do.. so if Carol from Grantham somehow ends up stumbling onto this page *waves hello*

Strava Activity



















No comments:

Post a Comment