Sunday, January 1, 2023

Mt Watatic

 New Year's Day! We have had unseasonably warm weather for Winter and a lot of the snow has melted from the last storm. I decided to head out and attempt Mt Watatic again. This time I made the attempt to leave early enough to make it into the parking area before it filled. I was a bit anxious with the warmer weather and it being New Year's Day. I figured it would be a popular spot. It was, but I made it! I was 5th car at 840am. It looked icy, but I had seen a trip report from the day prior saying spikes were not needed. I packed them, but started out in just my boots. A few hundred yards in, I decided to put the spikes on, just so I wasn't having to actively pay attention to every step in order to not slip. At about a quarter mile, an intersection is reached. You can turn right to continue on the Wapack Trail/Mid State Trail up to the summit, or straight on the State Line Trail to create a loop. I opted for right and up to the summit and then would continue the loop from there. The ice almost immediately disappeared, but I kept my spikes on thinking if I took them off, I'd come across more ice and have to just put them back on again. There was a water crossing, then the trail goes through a giant split rock. The climb starts after this beginning with some stone steps. We had rain last night, so it was wet, and while there were small patches of ice, they were all easily avoidable. The climb is short and somewhat steep, but nothing crazy. I decided to take my spikes off about 3/4 of the way up. I was wearing Hillsounds after my Kahtoola spikes broke the day before, so I was worried about damaging these too on the bare ground. There was one view ledge with a big cairn, and a memorial for a hiker on the way up. As I could tell the summit was approaching, the winds picked up, and I put on my puffy. I popped out on the summit where there is a giant cairn and found one other hiker enjoying a hot drink. I took a couple pictures and headed over to a knob about a tenth away where the views were 360 degrees and much wider. I had this to myself! I could even see the Boston skyline! It was very windy, so I didn't linger and headed back to the summit to continue on the Wapack Trail/Mid State Trail to the NH state line. There were no views along this section, but my adoration of the Wapack Trail continued. I passed over Nutting Hill and past the old cart path that makes the shorter of the loop options. I passed and was passed by a steady stream of people, as I had expected, but everyone was spaced out so it wasn't overly crowded. The trail was a mixture of slush, ice, mud and leaves. I was able to continue in just my boots. Once I reached the NH border, that completed my section hikes of the Wapack Trail proper. I have some side trails to go back and complete, but the 21.5 mile Wapack Trail itself was done. It took me 5 hikes to me complete. I followed the border/stone wall a short way before coming to the State Line Trail with a marker for the MA/NH border. From here I followed this straight back to the car. This section was very wet and quite muddy, but with careful steps most could be avoided. I passed a lot of people in the last quarter mile, the icy part, and every single person asked me if it was icy the whole way. I answered honestly and said no.. but it always amazes me to see people unprepared for any sort of conditions, particularly in Winter. I carry my gear with me always. I was also surprised when I returned to the lot to see 5 cars parked along the side that is marked "No Parking This Side". This is how we lose access to these wonderful places when people don't abide by the guidelines. I'm glad I got out early, aside from the lot being beyond full, a side street across the road from the entrance also had cars parked as far as one could see. The summit must have been very busy by this point!

Strava Activity




stone steps at the start of the climb

first view ledge below the summit

Gary must have loved it here




views from the knob below the summit

Boston skyline!


continuing over the summit

Nutting Hill

at the intersection with the cart path, I stayed on the Wapack Trail

back at the border and that finishes the Wapack for me

another memorial




near the trail start, I caught a brief moment of quiet

apparently signs saying "No Parking" are just for decoration


No comments:

Post a Comment