Saturday, April 29, 2023

Beebe Trail

 For my second hike of the day, I drove about 10 minutes to Beebe Trail, another side trail off Wapack Trail. Beebe Trail has a large parking area, just across the street and down a couple tenths from the Miller State Park entrance on Route 101. Beebe Trail heads up the side of Temple Mountain through the old ski area. A kiosk and orange gate mark the start of the trail, then just a little ways up, the trail heads right and then left. This trail was really well marked, especially at some of the intersections with old ski trails, where it may be confusing which was the actual hiking trail. Down low it was quite wet and muddy, and some of those areas that must be permanently so were bridged or had rocks placed for stepping through the worst of it. The trail moderately climbs up to meet the Wapack Trail just north of a communications tower. For most of the Beebe Trail if heading up, you can look behind you and see Pack Monadnock just across the street. I passed a couple of trail runners while on this trail which were the only folks I saw all day. Wapack Trail from Rt 101 to this point follows the gravel service road to the tower (Laura and I hiked this on a long 10 mile traverse a couple years ago). At the intersection with Beebe Trail, Wapack heads into the woods. I took a left onto the service road and continued up to the tower to see if there were any views. It was here Mother Nature beat me to the punch and the rain started. I actually didn't mind as it felt nice and cool. I put my Osprey pack raincoat over my pack and wasn't too worried about myself getting wet. I was surprised as I passed the tower to hear voices. At first I thought there must have been workers there, but there was no one. Must have just been some sort of transmission that was audible. Just past the tower I came across a tiny little memorial bench. It looked like it must have been the couple who founded the ski area. There was also a great unobstructed view across to Pack Monadnock that would be a great lunch spot (had it not been pouring rain!) next to the tower. I decided to make a loop and stayed on the Wapack Trail heading down the service road. Currier Outlook is marked on the trail map, and I saw the directional painted on a rock. I got a bit confused as I thought it was pointing into the woods, but I quickly saw that went nowhere, then I saw a herd path just to the right of the arrow that led a little ways down an old ski trail to another great view across to Pack Monadnock. It was really pouring by now, so I took a quick picture and continued on down. I decided to take a shortcut down one of the ski trails that was marked on my digital map. Initially I had concerns it would be overgrown. Turns out that wasn't the case, but it was very wet and muddy which I hadn't thought about. Thankfully it was only a couple tenths and I was back on Beebe Trail not too far from the parking area. Just because I'm a stickler on trail tracing, I also grabbed the short connector from Beebe Trail over to the Wapack Trail at the bottom as well. This completed everything south of Route 101 connected to the Wapack for me. 

Strava Activity

Kiosk in parking lot - also not the right gate for the trail



looking at Pack Monadnock



this actually freaked me out a bit.. too much Dateline watching





Beebe Trail off Wapack Trail

where Beebe Trail and Wapack Trail intersect


views from Currier Outlook


No comments:

Post a Comment