Saturday, February 17, 2024

Metacomet-Monadnock/Wantastiquet-Monadnock Trails Troy Depot to Fern Hill

 This year for some reason, I am just not into Winter hiking. I'm doing all I can to avoid it! In downtown Troy at the Troy Depot, the Metacomet-Monadnock and Wantastiquet Monadnock Trails merge and head over Fern Hill to Gap Mountain and on to their ends at Mt Monadnock. I had come up Fern Hill from the Gap Mountain side, so today I decided to park at the Troy Depot and finish the small section up Fern Hill from the Troy side. Initially I was going to park at the end of Prospect Street and do the road walk down to Troy Depot, but the small area described on the Metacomet-Monadnock guide for a couple of cars had not been plowed. So Plan B was to start at the Troy Depot. There is a train car currently parked at the Depot as well, and there were folks working on it today. I wonder what they're turning it into! It lightly snowed my entire drive over but stopped when I parked. Since this was majority road walking, I just wore my boots, but threw my spikes in just in case the road was icy, or the short section I needed on Fern Hill warranted traction. First I headed up to the Troy Tent Site, one of the few overnight options along the Wantastiquet-Monadnock Trail. From the Depot, head one block over to High Street, turn left and walk about a quarter mile. You will see a green house on the left, then a white house. Immediately after the white house is a small stone wall with a sign indicating the spur to the tent site. I had looked this up on Google Earth previously, otherwise I'd have probably missed it. The spur heads down between 2 houses to an area the landowner has set up for 3 tent sites. They currently have some equipment stored in the area, so I could really only make out 1 of the sites, which was in a fenced area. Very generous of the landowner to allow this. Back on High Street, I walked down to Rt 12. Turned right and walked up to a pedestrian crossing just past Water Street. Crossed here and walked down Rt 12 where thankfully there is a sidewalk the entire length until Quarry Road. Turn left on Quarry Road. The town recycling station is down Quarry Road and being a Saturday when it's open, it was a busier road than I expected. The recycling center is halfway down the road, it got quieter after that. Head up a pretty steep little hill to where pavement ends and it's hard packed dirt. Continue to the end of Quarry Road where Lloyd Lane goes left, and a fork is in front of you. The left branch of the fork is a private drive. The right fork is the trail, a Class VI road. It is marked here with a map. From here to the top of Fern Hill is about 0.3 miles and was completely snow covered with a couple inches, but I was still able to make do with just my boots. I was also completely surprised to see fresh tracks that continued on over Fern Hill. I wonder if it was a Winter thru hiker! I reached the summit of Fern Hill, which was my turnaround point and retraced my steps to the car. 

Strava Activity

Troy Depot

Turn left on High Street for the tent spur

tent spur off High Street

the trail to the tent sites is clearly marked



Rt 12 in downtown Troy

Left on Quarry Road

blazes for both WM and MM trails

where Quarry Road turns Class VI



turn left off Quarry Road near Fern Hill summit

my turnaround point on Fern Hill

train being remodeled at Troy Depot


No comments:

Post a Comment