Saturday, November 7, 2020

Mt Kearsarge

 It was 70° this weekend. In New Hampshire. Unbelievable. Today I decided to finish off redlining Mt Kearsarge. Several years ago, my family and I hiked up and down the Winslow and Barlow Trails. That left Lincoln trail and Rollins Trail to complete. I hadn't really done any reading on either of these trails until I started thinking about where I wanted to go. Lincoln Trail is 4.8 miles long from parking area to summit. Rollins Trail is only 0.6 miles long. I figured I'd create a little lollipop and go up Lincoln Trail all the way, come back down Rollins and rejoin Lincoln for the remainder of the descent. I was excited at the prospect of a warm day, but also mindful that we are not in Daylight Savings time any longer and the sun will still set early. Therefore I set out and was on the trail by 8am. There were 2 other cars already parked, and several arrived at the same time I did. I knew the summit would be busy, but hadn't anticipated this much longer route to be so also. Turns out, I was only passed by a couple groups going up, coming back down though was much busier. We were still easily able to keep our distance and be safe. Lincoln Trail starts on Kearsarge Valley Road, the only trail that doesn't require a toll to access as it's not in a State Park (to start). There is significant logging occurring during the first 2 miles, but they have been careful to minimize the impact to the trail. The first 1/2 mile is what is known as the Link Trail which goes through an area with some large glacial erratics, before popping out on a gravel road. You then follow the gravel road for another mile or so, which has a steady incline and finally take a left at a clearing and head into the woods. It's well marked and easy to follow. The trail then skirts the logged area, which was actually nice at this time of year. With the leaves down, there were lots of peekaboo views to the scenery around. Around the 2.1 mile mark there is a view spur that goes left, I decided to wait and do that on my descent. Shortly after there is a well cleared area with a view ahead to the Kearsarge summit. From here for the next couple of miles, the trail became much leafier. While overall it is very well marked (as this trail is also a section of the Sunapee-Ragged-Kearsarge Greenway, markings are white trapezoids which follow that entire trail), there was a small section between mile 3 and 4 that was so leafy and there were several blowdowns with blazes just a tad further apart than in other areas, I had to stop and really pay attention to where I was going, and did venture off course briefly a few times (though realized quickly and was able to redirect). After mile 3 is when the real climbing also begins. Moderate grades for the most part, a couple of steeper sections and just a consistent grind. I also found this section of the trail much damper and began to question whether to continue after the State Park parking area at mile 4.2 as I was starting to get very tired. I spent the last mile trying to decide if I should push on, turn around at the parking lot knowing I could come back, drive up the auto road and do the loop from there, or just take Rollins Trail up. Once I reached the parking area, I stopped for a break to regroup and decided to push on with the Lincoln Trail. I knew there was a steep rock scramble on this section, the trail sign even warns to avoid if wet or icy. I have done some rock scrambles on other trails, I just tell myself.. stop, take it slow, one boulder at a time! I'm really glad I made the decision to continue, I didn't find the scramble to be as scary as I had envisioned. I took my time, was very careful with my footing and actually thought it was fun! I stopped and enjoyed the views as I went up, it was hazy, but still really beautiful. There were also plenty of boulders to hold onto and pull myself up on and thankfully it was completely dry. The exposed section was really quite short. After that it was a mix of flat ledge and some climbing up rock amongst the trees. I could hear the summit before reaching it, which met my expectation of it being busy. It is a large summit though, with plenty of space for everyone to spread out. It was rather windy, so I found a secluded area to sit and have lunch before heading back down. The Rollins Trail is the "easiest" trail to the summit. It is a really eroded old carriage road and today was really, really wet. Almost like a small creek at times with running water. This was the one time I took a big slide (didn't fall, but it was close). Back at the State Park parking area, I rejoined the Lincoln Trail and headed back to the car. The leaves made the first half of the descent really quite slippery (particularly on tired legs). When I reached the view spur I went ahead to check it out. I had previously seen pictures of an American flag on this ledge and hoped it was still there. I didn't realize how far down I'd climb to reach this ledge (it's only 0.15 miles from the Lincoln Trail, but almost all down). Really slippery with the leaves, I began thinking perhaps it wasn't the best choice having to climb back up. I saw the flag though and knew it was worth the extra little distance. It was very peaceful and with the breeze blowing, the flag was flying. It's Veterans Day this week, so I took a moment to think of Grampy (my father-in-law who passed earlier this year). I've seen this ledge referred to as Bakers Ledge. I do recommend taking the time to go out. Very serene little spot. From here it was back to the gravel road and down to the car. Just over 10 miles with the view spur and another great day on the trails. 

Strava Activity


Link Trail starts right at the parking area

Signs warning of the logging taking place

Once on the gravel road you enter Black Mountain Forest

Intersection of the gravel road and trail

Looking ahead at Kearsarge from a clearing

Trail signs at the parking area for Rollins State Park


Bottom of the scramble on Lincoln Trail
Halfway up the scramble on Lincoln Trail


Final destination from a ledge on Lincoln Trail







Top of Rollins Trail

Back on Lincoln Trail at the parking area

Looking back at the summit


Bakers Ledge scenic overlook


No comments:

Post a Comment