Sunday, May 1, 2022

Cockermouth Forest - Little Pond & Cliff Walk

 Having been to Cockermouth Forest last June, I knew I had to revisit at a different time of year. The woods roads were overgrown and it was horrendously buggy on my first visit. I decided to give it a try now and my experience couldn't have been more different. Having now seen a few others comment on their adventures in August and September, "off season" is definitely the time to go. I parked in the very small parking area on N Groton Rd at the gate on Romley Remick Rd and headed back up the same way I did last year. At the intersection with Old N Groton Rd, I took a right. This section was a little muddy and wet, but nothing that couldn't be rock hopped through or skirted around. I was looking for Eliza Remick Road, which I had not even seen last time (on this end, I did see the other end off High Pasture Loop). I had a digital trail map pre-downloaded, but as it turned out, the intersection was clearly visible this time and a sign tacked on a tree I had completely missed last time! I found with the lack of leaves on the trees it was so open and sunshiny (yes, it's a word now!), such a different feeling than last time which felt dark and miserable. The old woods roads almost felt like they'd been mowed, it was glorious! Eliza Remick Rd followed an old stone wall for much of the way and gently meandered up and down across the lower slopes of Mt Crosby before meeting up with High Pasture Loop, just about a tenth of a mile from Romley Remick Rd and the original homestead location of the Remick family (which is marked on the map, but I didn't spend a lot of time looking for any remnants of). It was here last time that I cut my hike short being absolutely done and over the muggy conditions and long grass. Today, I happily headed up to the sign pointing to Little Pond, marked on the map as John F Woodhouse Trail. I had erroneously anticipated it being old woods road all the way to the pond, when in fact right after the intersection with Romley Remick Rd, it became a normal trail. There were a lot of leaves on the ground, but a path had been created, that almost made it look like someone had come and swept it clear. The trail wandered over several brook crossings and reached the intersection with Cliff Walk (named Ledges Loop on the sign). I decided to do this loop first before heading out to the pond. The trail climbed rather steeply following one of the brook crossings with some cascades for about a tenth of a mile before reaching the "loop" portion. I had read that heading right was steeper, so I went left. Climbing a little further the trail reached the "cliff" portion of the loop.. or the "ledge" portion depending on how you referred to the trail. I was amazed at the gorgeous views across the forest. It was crystal clear blue skies today and I could have sat there forever listening to the birds and enjoying the BUG FREE day! The treadway continues a few extra yards to the edge of the ridge and views across to Mt Crosby and Bald Knob. Backtracking to the actual trail it continues briefly along the ledge to views over Little Pond before continuing around and down the steep section, which weaves down the ridge back to where you started. Back on the John F Woodhouse Trail, it continues into a pine forest, which was just beautiful and reaches the pond. The pond is surrounded by 9 acres of bog, which makes it unique and again, I could have just sat there and looked out over the water enjoying the gorgeous day. Alas, laundry was awaiting my return home, so I headed back to the car and was surprised to find another car parked next to me. Turns it out it was another of my redlining buddies that I "know" from the Southern NH redlining Facebook group. I was so pleasantly surprised at the different conditions and experience I had today over last year!

Strava Activity


















completely opposite conditions to my last trip here


No comments:

Post a Comment